We’ve seen the devastating impact of global events from climate change and COVID-19 to pressing economic and social burdens. But we’ve also seen the strength of our communities when we come together to address these difficulties.
With all the challenges we’re facing in the world, we recognized a need to stand together. We chose to come together and foster the power of unity. Ummah for Earth is an alliance created to address the pressing challenges facing our world. Together, we can take action toward a positive change.
We invite you to join us.
Ummah for Earth is an alliance-led initiative, with the goal to empower Muslim communities who are facing crises. The alliance is made up of :
- Global One – Global One is a UK-based Muslim women-led international development NGO with registered offices in Kenya, Nigeria, Bangladesh and Jordan. Global One works to raise awareness on sustainability under the legacies of Islam and has introduced a guide to green practices during hajj. These include recommendations to waste management, public transport and sensible energy consumption in order to reduce our individual carbon footprint during Hajj.
- Greenpeace MENA – Greenpeace MENA (Middle East and North Africa) is the latest organisation in the Greenpeace network that now consists of 27 independent national/regional organisations in over 55 countries across Europe, the Americas, Africa, Asia and the Pacific, as well as a co-ordinating body, Greenpeace International. Greenpeace MENA will prioritise environmental problems from this important region, offering solutions for its people and working hand in hand with the local communities in order to push for a greener and more peaceful world.
- Greenpeace Southeast Asia – Greenpeace has been present in the Southeast Asia region since 2000. Southeast Asia’s forests, mountains, rivers and oceans are home to millions of people and thousands of species of trees, plants, birds and mammals. But today, much of these flora and fauna are under threat from climate change, deforestation, pollution and unsustainable industrialised agriculture. The region’s rapid industrialisation and economic success has come at a heavy price. Through its campaigns, Greenpeace aims to protect Southeast Asia from further ecological ruin and to serve as a beacon of awareness and action in the interest of environmental protection and sustainable development.
- IFEES/EcoIslam – IFEES/EcoIslam is a leading Islamic environmental agency, helping to bridge the gap between the inherent ecological guidance of Islam and what informs daily behaviour as Muslims, aiming to bring about positive change across our communities and beyond to protect the earth.
- Islamic Relief – As an independent humanitarian and development organisation, Islamic Relief Worldwide has been serving humanity for 35 years. With an active presence in over 40 countries across the globe, IRW strives to make the world a better and fairer place for the three billion people still living in poverty. Since 1984, IRW has helped millions of the world’s poorest and most vulnerable people. Inspired by the Islamic faith and guided by its values, IRW believes that people with wealth have a duty to those less fortunate regardless of race, political affiliation, gender or belief.
- Dr Odeh Al Jayoussi – Odeh Al-Jayyousi a professor and international consultant in sustainability and innovation. Author of a book titled” Islam and sustainable development: New worldviews”.
- Atlas for Development – Atlas for Development is a Moroccan nonprofit organization that aims to contribute to youth and women’s empowerment through inclusive community projects
- Green Generation Foundation (GGF) – was founded in 2014 as an Environmental Youth-led Organization. It aims to empower a new generation that can adapt to and understand ongoing worldwide environmental changes and create future leaders with the skills to solve climate-related and ecological challenges.
- Greenish Foundation is a non-profit organization registered in Egypt under license 918 for 2020. Our main purpose is to develop community-centered solutions which contribute to public health and environmental sustainability, as well as the link between them.
- Adyan is a foundation for managing diversity, promoting solidarity and safeguarding human dignity. They work locally, regionally and globally to achieve Inclusive Citizenship, develop Education on Living together, activate Religious Social Responsibility, and promote Spiritual Solidarity. Adyan was established on August 6, 2006, and is registered in Lebanon as a non-profit, independent, non-governmental organization (NGO), under the number 1103 by the Ministerial Decree dated 18 September 2008.
- The Center for Islamic Studies Universitas Nasional is an Indonesia-based study center aims at seeking engagement of Islamic teachings and perspectives to address contemporary issues facing Muslim communities in Indonesia and around the globe. They have been working to build bridges between Muslim leaders and communities, environmental scientists and practitioners for the good of people and the planet. They also foster integration in academia of Islamic and scientific thought and contribute to local, national, and international initiatives on Islam and the environment.
- GreenFaith is an international, interfaith, grassroots climate justice organization that organizes, trains and campaigns with local partners around the globe.
- Hazrat Sultan Bahu Trust charity is a Muslim organization based in the UK and is HQ to 22 mosques around the country. The Bahu Trust promotes the belief that preserving the environment is an act of worship, the faith of Islam gives a clear mandate to protect and look after nature, Bahu Trust is registered as an observer to UNFCCC conferences and also has accredited status with UNEP.
- GRASS Malaysia : is an acronym for Pertubuhan Alam Sekitar Sejahtera Malaysia (Malaysian Peaceful Environment Organisation). It was registered on 23 October 2014. The establishment of GRASS aims to elevate the environmental aspect from a religious and cultural point of view. GRASS Malaysia is a non-governmental civil society organisation that works to raise awareness in environmental care. These efforts are carried out through a series of activities in the form of talks, workshops, service and cooperation with the community as well as organisations such as universities, schools, government institutions, NGOs and local residents.
- Greenpeace Canada – Greenpeace Canada is an independent campaigning organization, which uses non-violent, creative confrontation to expose global environmental problems, and to force the solutions which are essential to a green and peaceful future. Greenpeace Canada’s goal is to ensure the ability of the Earth to nurture life in all its diversity. Therefore Greenpeace Canada seeks to: protect biodiversity in all its forms, – prevent pollution and abuse of the earth’s ocean, land, air and fresh water, – end all nuclear threats, promote peace, global disarmament and non-violence.